What are Bio-Identical Hormones?
Bio-identical simply means that the hormone has exactly the same molecular structure as the one naturally made by your body. This is important because your body recognizes it and can metabolize it normally. The term “bio-identical” does not indicate the source of the hormone, only its structure. Bio-identical hormones are made by processing hormone precursors found in plants like soy and yams.
As men and women age, the endocrine gland slows its hormone production and our hormone levels begin to decrease and fall out of balance. Replacing those hormones can lead to a happier, healthier, fuller life for patients. The key to safe and effective hormone replacement therapy is the use of bio-identical hormones. The body cannot metabolize non bio-identical hormones in a normal manner; as a result, they persist in the body, exerting an abnormal effect and leading to medical problems.
When is the right time for Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone replacement therapy can be used any time there is a hormone deficiency, but generally, women will become deficient in progesterone and/or testosterone in their late 30′s or early 40′s. A lack of estrogen usually doesn’t occur until shortly before or during menopause (average age of 51). Replacing all three hormones after menopause is usually necessary for optimal hormone balance.
Benefits of Estrogen Replacement
- Relief of vasomotor symptoms (hot flashes)
- Reduced risk of osteoporosis
- Reduced risk of coronary artery disease
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduced risk of colon cancer
- Relief of vaginal dryness and thinning
- Reduced risk of arthritis
- Life expectancy an average of 3 years longer
Benefits of Testosterone Replacement
- Enhanced libido
- Cardiovascular protection
- Increased energy and vitality
- Enhanced feeling of well-being
- Reduced body fat
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Relief of depression
- Cognitive clarity
Benefits of Progesterone Replacement
- Counteracts estrogen dominance
- Minimizes risk of endometrial cancer in women who are receiving estrogen
- May reduce risk of breast cancer
We offer Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement in the form of creams, oral formulations, pellets or subcutaneous administration, troches, injections, and sublingual formulations.